Each issue of arts features articles and reviews in the following areas:
IN THE STUDY where we present in an interdisciplinary fashion articles that draw on art history, theology, aesthetics, biblical studies, liturgical studies, and art criticsm treating topics as varied as medieval iconography and contemporary theological approaches to art criticism and aesthetics.
IN THE STUDY sample article: Theological Aesthetics and the Art of John August Swanson (ARTS 21:2)
Due to the length of this article, it has been split into five sections, one for each author:
- Cecilia Gonzalez-Andrieu, "Theological Aesthetics and the Art of John August Swanson"
- Alejandro Garcia-Rivera, "The Color of Truth"
- Jenny Patten, "'What is Swanson's Art Like?' A Foolish Question?"
- John Handley, "John August Swanson's Jester"
- N. Frances Hioki, "The Moon Shines on All: Appreciating John August Swanson's Jester with a Chinese Painting, Geese on the Maple River"
IN THE SANCTUARY where we reflect on the use of the arts in worship settings—from liturgical design to the role of art in a worship service.
IN THE STUDIO where we explore the transformational experience of doing art with articles written by artists and about artists.
IN THE CLASSROOM where we discuss various approaches for teaching theology and the arts courses in colleges, seminaries, churches, and community organizations.
IN REFLECTION where we offer essays, poetry and personal reflections that invite us to turn to a consideration of our own personal worlds of spiritual contemplation.
IN REVIEW reviews recent books from the world of religion and art publications.